The Institution

 
Santa Luzia Street, 206 - Castelo - Rio de Janeiro, RJ - CEP: 20020-021A Philanthropic Institution, of acknowledged beneficent nature and social assistance providing medical services in General Practice and Gastroenterology to SUS and to the destitute and homeless population in Rio de Janeiro, through Professor Milton dos Reis Arantes 4th and 20th Wards Service.

The Hospital Geral da Santa Casa da Misericórdia da Misericórdia do Rio de Janeiro, serving the community for 427 years was founded by jesuit José de Anchieta on March 24th, 1582.

The foundation stone of the new hospital was laid on April 1st, 1843 in the presence of D. Pedro II. Its official opening was held on June 2nd, 1852.

On the patio of Santa Casa da Misericórdia is located Nossa Senhora do Bonsucesso Church, the oldest in Rio de Janeiro, built in 1567. Its present architecture however was established in 1780 when it was rebuilt.

Scroll to top